On Oct 4, 2008, at 19:40 , NoOp wrote:

What if Chuck thought that Barbara Duprey or NoOp were the culprit and
tried to unsubscribe us instead? Without a "goodbye" email we'd be
dropped from the list and have to spend our time trying to get things
sorted out to get subscribed again.

I thought it was pretty clear that there would be a goodbye email - it just wouldn't require a response.

What if as soon as we subscribed again the same culprit unsub'ed us again, and again, and again?

This is a good possibility to consider. Can a 'lock' be put on an address in ezmlm similar to locking a credit file [no unsubscribe w/o human intervention]? Or better yet, let the user manage their subscription so that the old unsub-on-reply remains an option. In the end, this potential problem would require more concentration and effort on the part of the culprit and is thus less likely to happen than what we face now. I'd say the balance still tilts towards Barbara's solution.

--
Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

There might be some credit in being jolly. - Charles Dickens