Harold Fuchs wrote:
On 09/10/2008 07:16, Brian Barker wrote:
At 12:46 09/10/2008 +1100, Keith Bates wrote:
When I perform marriages I need to fill in about three or four forms [...] At the moment, most of them are filled in by hand because it's easier than making the effort to organise templates etc. to print the information into the right spot on the form. What I'm thinking is make a document (spreadsheet?) to enter the information then have OO put that into the right places so I can print onto the forms.

Either you or I may be slightly confused here! Entering the information into a separate document is one way to go, but it wouldn't avoid the work you seem to be fighting shy of. There is no magical way that the information would know where to appear, so you would need to have "made the effort", as you put it, to create that template first. And once you have created that template, there is no obvious reason - at least using the technique I'm going to suggest - why having a separate document for input would be any easier.

Here's an idea:
o  Scan the form.
o  Create a new text (Writer) document the same size as your form.
o Go to Insert | Picture > | From File... and browse to your scanned form. o Go to Format | Picture... (or right-click | Picture...) and change some settings. On the Type tab, under Anchor, select "To page"; and under Position, select Left for Horizontal and Top for Vertical. On the Options tab, under Properties, remove the tick from Print. (That's the clever bit.) o Select the picture and drag its bottom right corner to the corresponding corner of the page (that's the entire page, of course - beyond any margins). Now that you have the picture filling the page, it may be difficult to see how to deselect the picture: I find that pressing the Esc key accomplishes this. o With the picture deselected, go to Insert | Frame... . You will probably need to change some settings here, too. On the Type tab, remove the tick from AutoSize. On the Borders tab, select "- None -". o Drag and resize the frame to coincide with the area on the form where the text needs to be inserted. o Repeat the last two steps, creating a separate frame for each required entry. o Go to File | Templates > | Save... and save the document as a template.
o  (Close the document, discarding changes.)

Each time you need to use the template, fill in the frames and print on the blank form. Note that the background image of the form will not print. Save as a document file for reference if desired.

If you want to be able to enter text separately or to retrieve it from another document, one way is to use linked sections. Create suitably named sections to contain the relevant text in the source text document. In your template, put the cursor into each frame in turn and insert a section into the frame. On the Section tab of the Insert Section dialogue, tick Link, use the "..." button to browse to the source file, and select the relevant named section from the drop-down menu at Section. Remember to use Tools | Update > | Links when necessary in using the template. But I fancy that it will be difficult to format the sections in such a way as to be absolutely sure that the text will be neatly formatted without checking it over in the document itself - which may render the indirect technique of no particular benefit.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

I get the impression that Mr. Bates wants to have the same data inserted at different places within the same form and/or in different forms. Inserting the same value in different places in a document can be achieved with fields and variables. I don't think you can have a field whose value is defined and which then becomes available in different documents. So it may be necessary to have all the forms in a single document. There's a guide to using fields in Chapter 14 of the Writer's Guide at <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Working_with_Fields>. In particular see the subsection entitled "Using other fields to hold information that changes"

IF it's desirable to have the forms in different documents, the mail-merge capability could be used for all of them to get the information from a common source (a database, for example).