On 12/22/2008 01:06 PM, Julio Sotolongo wrote:
> Twayne,
>     Good points, I'm reasonably certain my friend was using the same
> computer for both programs, but have not seen them on his computer. I
> did not get a good understanding, but said he was using something akin
> to Draw to add a line in an Excel program or possibly a table. I have
> read here that MSO does not have an equivalent to Draw. I am not sure
> just what he was using.
>     I do not have MSO and only saw how OOo displayed on my relatively
> old monitor. It is a Compaq 7500. I got it used. I keep my drivers up to
> date. My video card is a nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU.
>     I tried the suggestion of printing the line which on the monitor
> appeared to be short straight segments that were not connected. This
> same line printed nice and straight.
>     Evidently he saw a difference how the two programs displayed. To use
> his words, it was driving him crazy. In some manner, he said he could
> 'snap' the line on MSO and it would be straight.  By the time I came
> back with the information about displayed line on the monitor and
> printed line he had purchased a copy of MSO and uninstalled OOo.
>     Anyway I have learned a few things and I mentioned that he could
> have both programs on his computer with no problem. Maybe he will give
> OOo another try.

I just tested with WinXP MSO 2002 and OOo 3.0 and I see what your friend
is talking about. On MSO, a diagonal line will appear jagged (stairstep
effect) in the draw box until the mouse is released. As soon as the
mouse is released the line appears perfectly smooth - even when viewed
at 500%. In OOo the line renders in stairstep (minor, but still
noticeable). That's on a .24pixel professional quality monitor and also
tested on a two other systems w/like monitors.