Dave Post wrote:
Note to list: This user is not subscribed.

On Apr 16, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:

Mike Holmes wrote:
I had open office recommended to me by a tech. in the store where I bought my laptop. I have windows 2000, and I am interested in information on open office.org all I want to do is e-mail resumes and open attachments e-mailed to me, I currently have no software installed, only e-mail capacities. any information as to what products and services from open office.org which would allow me to e-mail resumes and open attachments would be most helpful.
thank you.

michael holmes

OpenOffice.org is a full suite of programs (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and more). If you are actually planning on creating and maintaining your resume with it, the Writer (word processor) component is very good for creating files and e-mailing them (in various formats). And OOo is capable of opening a large number of types of files, many of which are no longer supported by their original developers, and that could be very useful to you in dealing with attachments people send to you.

OOo is an integrated package, not separate programs, so you basically get everything when you download the program from www.openoffice.org. The software, documentation, and support are all free, with additional materials available elsewhere either free or commercially. You can check the website for more information about what OOo can do and how. Welcome to the open source community!

It might be added as an FYI that the suite doesn't include an email application, web browser, or newsreader. Although Michael didn't ask about these things, other queries to this list imply sometimes that people expect it to.

Dave

Sigh. Good point, but I hate to get into listing all the things OOo is *not* intended to do that various MS office products do. There was a pretty comprehensive list here a while back of all kinds of possibilities for other MS product substitutions -- there are *lots* of them! Maybe we should just list all the OOo component types and hope they notice that the other stuff isn't there?