On Thu, 07 May 2009 16:49:32 +0300
Came this utterance formulated by Dotan Cohen to my mailbox:

> > Now I understand, you think Microsoft are using ODF V1.2!
>
> No, but starting from 1.2 I think would be a good point. Starting in
> the middle of 1.1 will be a mess.

Which is what Microsoft have done and are trying to create.

> > They aren't,
> > they are using a bastardised 1.1 which does not conform to what
> > other 1.1 using programs already use _interoperably_.
>
> They are using 1.1 as defined by the OASIS consortium. The standard is
> loose enough to allow their different interpretation. That is a fault
> of the standard.

It is an "Open Standard" with open flexibility written in. Anyone can
write an incompatible format but why would you unless the intention was
to create anarchy?

> > They are the latecomers
> > onto the stage with a fubar implementation. Nobody is going to
> > change another program to break compatibilty with documents already
> > saved in this format. The 1.2 spec is still under development in
> > OASIS.
> >

> This is why I say to leave 1.1 as it is, and to render 1.2 as MSO
> renders 1.2.

The detail going into 1.2 is being nutted out, and Microsoft is a
contributor.

> >> The truth is, I don't like playing follow the leader either. But in
> >> this unique example, I do say that OOo should play by MS's rules,
> >to> make their toehold in the industry stand. Just as OOo looks to
> >MSO as> the reference implementation of DOC, so should it be with
> >ODF.>
> >
> > I disagree.
> >

> There are two choices: have a reference implementation or don't. Which
> do you think is better for the standard?

We had a large list of programs already vcoexisting as a reference
implementation. If Microsoft wanted to change the format then they
should and are doing it in 1.2. Not make a mess of 1.1 where many
existing files already exist. BTW 1.1 was never intended to go to
ISO/IEC. It is an OASIS standard, not an international one.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416