>> MS supports the standard perfectly here. The problem is that the standard
>> is not well defined.
>
> Wrong. Standard is guideline. Supporting standard does not mean just did
> minimum implementation to follow the letter of the standard. To actually
> *support* it is to make sure the standard work, to be able to interoperable.

No, as much as you'd like that to be the case, it is not.

> A newcomer to a standard is expected to learn from oldtimers how to do
> stuff, so Microsoft - as newcomer to ODF standard - should take a look to
> existing implementation on how to do the part the standard has not yet
> define. It has been done and Microsoft actually have the code (the CleverAge
> plugin), just put it there. In this particular case, there alternative:
> implement OpenFormula, which although still in the work, should be good
> enough for common files.

I am certain that MS sees itself as a newcomer to the field and must
turn to OOo for inspiration.

> The fact that Microsoft choose something entirely different shows that
> Microsoft does not intent to *support* the standard, but only want to have a
> publication stunt.

Actually, that could very well be. Or it could be malicious intent
towards ODF. Or it could be incompetence.

>> I do not think that MS is working for interoperability.
>
> Then it is useless.

You tell that to the 95% of the market that is using it's product.

>> The question is should OOo continue to render as it always has, or should
>> it start working to be a drop-in replacement for the major office suite?
>
> This is stupid statement. To be replacement OOo should open MS Office
> documents, i.e. legacy office format (.doc, .xls) and probably the OOXML.
> This already done to some degree.

Thank you for insulting my statement so bluntly. I disagree that
opening all formats that MSO can save in with the exception of ODF is
good enough for OOo.

> In ODF, OpenOffice is one of the leader, and should stay in the lead. It is
> up to Microsoft to catch up.

I am certain that MS sees it that way too.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il