> So my experience is that even though Sun's people and product volunteers
> have done their best to give the "world" a way for MS Word to read
> and write .odt, its just a stop-gap till MS finally gets their
> "backsides" in gear and support ODF properly and completely.

MSO now supports ODF properly and completely. Just differently than OOo.

> MS still wants to say "see, I told you so.  Mine is better than yours.
> (with their collective tongues sticking out)".

MS's is different than yours. Neither are known to be better, but OOo
does have glaring ODF implementation bugs. MSO's own bugs will be
discovered soon enough, it is reasonable to imagine.

> As I said, my testing makes me want to use OOo to make .doc files
> into .odt files, not Word and the add-on.  Plus many .docx files
> as well (if they can be converted at all, because of Word specific
> garbage).

You might have the luxury of using an office suite built from the
ground up to support ODF to convert your documents, but the 95% of the
market using MSO does not have that luxury. And switching office
suites is not a simple matter for businesses to make, even if for home
users it is painless.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com