On May 22, 2009, at 2:55 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:

the only way to cope with this ridiculous situation would be some kind of autoresponder
that worked invisible in the background. So OK to your script, as long
as you only send extra messages to unsubscribed posters, NOT to the
list OR to single subscribed posters, thanks.

I'm working on one like that. That's one reason I described my proposal as a "stopgap." A script like this is substantially more complex, though, because it must maintain a database of messages from unsubscribed users, compare every new message that's sent to the list against the database, and take one of several possible correct actions. (For example: Suppose a previously unsubscribed user decides to subscribe and then replies to a thread s/he initiated before subscribing.)

 I REFUSE to waste one second to put together convoluted mail filters

I think "convoluted" is "in the eye of the beholder" and a function of the method one uses to read the list. It's fairly easy in OSX Mail, and I posted instructions for doing that awhile back. As Brian noted, Harold has posted Thunderbird instructions, too. Nonetheless, it appears it's not possible in all cases, and even it was, there are some people (like you) who aren't interested. That wouldn't matter if people who can't/won't differentiate wouldn't reply, but that practice would defeat the list's purpose.

(which would never work in all possible cases anyway)

I gather that some messages from unsubscribed users don't have a "Delivered-To: moderator for" etc. header field. I haven't caught any cases like this and would appreciate it in anyone who has would send me a copy to examine. I'd like my improved script to handle them correctly (assuming I get it working).

 when it's a NEW message, I always "reply to all".

For at least some email interfaces (OSX Mail is one), Reply All doesn't send to an unsubscribed user. (Does yours? What are you using?) A Reply All to the messages my script would produce *would* send to that user, and that's its main "selling point."

So far, it appears my script would be unwelcome, and that's ok. Everything I've learned in the course of developing it is relevant to the more elegant one I'm working on.

Thanks for the responses. And, again, if you can send an example of the sort I requested, please do.

Dave