Dave,

please accept my apologies for not answering earlier. For some unknown
reason, I manually filed this message without reading it in another
folder and only realized it now.

On Fri, May 22, 2009 15:24:32 PM -0400, Dave Post wrote:

>> If you take out the "resend message to the list" part, ie ONLY send
>> notifications to unsubscribed users, it won't hurt
>> subscriber at all and it WILL do some good, so by all means go on.
>
> To forward replies to an unsubscribed user that don't include that
> person's email address, one must create a database of all message IDs

this is something you should do, in one form or another, **even** in
your original proposal: if, at some point of the discussion, the
address of the OP disappears from the replies (because newcomers to
the thread only reply to the list) how do you know who you should
alert?

I don't know what you did after May 22nd. However, the only suggestion
I can give you if you still need it is:

make an autoresponder that, whenever a message from an unsubscribed
user arrives to the list, answer to that user and ONLY to that user
saying more or less "you will surely lose most answers to this
question unless YOU take the trouble of checking for them in the
archives. Sorry"

There are ways to do the "Message IDs database" you describe, but I
only have an *idea* of how to do thing on Linux, which isn't your case
IIRC, so I suggest to just go for the simple solution above.

Also, about this:

>> I open those messages, read them, do my best to answer and always
>> send each answer both to the list and the OP.
>
> Always copying the OP is one way to solve the problem, although it
> means subscribers receive 2 copies of your replies.

there is a misunderstanding here. I had explicitly written that I only
do that with _new_ messages (and, I forgot to add, only if it's
evident from their content that the poster is a newbie). If I reply to
a reply, I always and only send that message to the list.

> Clearly, I've touched a nerve for you, and I apologize for that. I
> mean only to solve a problem that troubles some of us.

I meant to go hard with the powers in charge, not with you, sorry if
this wasn't clear. I'm troubled too by this mess. It's obviously not
your fault if this list is abandoned to itself as it is, (un)managed
in a way that has already driven many competent people away in the
past.

As I already said, what you planned to do is surely useful because (as
long as you don't generate extra traffic on the list itself) it limits
the damage, so thanks if you do it or have already done it.

    Marco
    Digital rights writings -> http://mfioretti.com
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84