Michael wrote:
David B Teague wrote:
<snipped>
You suggestion that ALL academics deride Wikipedia is false. When my
students used Wikipedia, I required them to have other supporting
sources just as when they use other encyclopedias. I never accepted
ONE reference on a topic. Even the Britanica has bad articles, but the
chance of finding an article that has been messed with is greater with
Wikipedia.

I am not the only professor who encourages use of Wikipedia as ONE of
MANY resources.

David Teague
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
Western Carolina University

I have attended numerous community colleges and four universities and I
have /never/ had a college professor allow me to use wikipedia as a source.

YMMV.

20090627 1150 GMT-5

This past semester my wife was told that she could use Wikipedia as one of many sources. She was told she had to have many online resources besides wiki but that she could now use it.

Depends on the University and, they are adapting.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005