Hello Andy,
My son, who is a computer wizard has disabled Open Office 3 from the "start up", I think it was in the program files. Since he has done what he has done, I have SUCCESSFULLY installed 3.1! Thank you for your kind help and assistance

Andy wrote:
Allan M Watt wrote:
Yes, I have to agree, it is weird! The notice I have been getting on screen, says "The installed product does not match the installation source(s). Until a matching source is provided or the installed product and source are synchronized, this action cannot be performed." I have since tried removing my version 3 through "Add and remove programs" and I cannot remove it. I have downloaded 3.1 again, tried to install it again, and another notice has told me to close version 3 and and close the quickstarter, as you suggested, I have done this, and again makes no difference. I don't think it likes me! I run XP. Have you installed it over a previous version, or was it a clean install? Thank you for you help and suggestions so far. I am still trying!! Trying to think what to try next. One part of me says to forget it, on the other hand, I do not like to be beaten!

It has been awhile since I upgraded to 3.1 but I had problems as well. I went in and deleted all references to OpenOffice.org from the registry and from the /program files/ . I did not delete anything from the /users/ area so retained all the personal settings. I am not sure what was causing the problem but this worked for me also running XP sp2 at the time.

Hope this helps.