Web Kracked wrote:
I was trying to install the latest DEB version of OOo, but keep getting errors.

Hi Web,

Firts:

>for my desktop of Ubuntu 9.10.

Ubuntu 9.10 has OpenOffice 3.1 installed as default, it's likely that you are using some other version.

The best way to add more recent versions of OpenOffice to your Ubuntu install is using something called PPA.

PPAs are software sources that provide newer versions of some programs that the ones officially supported. They will integrate completely in Ubuntu and will be updated with the rest of the system.

There are usually more than one PPA per program, some provide the lastest released versions, other can provide you with betas or even night-builds (the version where the developers are working, usually quite buggy).

Anyway, check this:

https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

This will provide you the latest released version of OpenOffice only one or two weeks after release. It will only work with Ubuntu 9.04, if you are using some other version, please tell us.

One more thing:

I need some Gnome stuff
for now and if I can find the stuff in KDE

You can run Gnome programs in KDE and KDE stuff in gnome just right. They will look somewhat different but they will run just fine.

Hope that it helps,

Javier.