Paul wrote:
At lot of energy has been expended (unnecessarily?) dealing with two
interlocking list management issues:
 - how to get answers to questions from unsubscribed posters; and
 - how to unsubscribe (for newbies who subscribed to get a question
answered).

A little reflection on the size of the list and the wealth of talent wasted
on these questions is enough to make one sick over the waste of time.  Now
Barbara Duprey has not only done an admirable and comprehensive job of
trying to get to answers that quash this waste [cf: "Responding to
unsubscribed posters"], but has also volunteered to take the quest for
answers off-list.  Also, Vera (VeLT) has offered a clue to at least part of
the problem ["Re: Fw: unsubscribe"], and again Barbara followed up on the
clue.

All of this begs an obvious question: When Barbara gets answers (for which
the list will be in her debt) how will she get corrections made? Put another
way: Who is/are the list moderator(s), and why is a list moderator not
active in these list management questions?  This may be a dumb question,
asked from the perspective of one who has not been around this list for a
long time - and if it's dumb, I apologize - but it seems like an obvious
question.  Anyone know?

John

I'm one of the list moderators for both users and discuss lists. My silence
on these recent discussions is that there is nothing new and it has all been
discussed before (repeatedly).

Search the archives for what moderators can and can't do - I'll not bore
everyone else.

The central issue is that the collab software that runs the list will take
$$$ to change. Without $$ and single approach for a change = no change.

/paul
Hi, Paul, glad to hear from you.

The two approaches under discussion currently are
(1) Leaving the Reply-To address as the unsubscribed OP, but adding the list (rather than replacing the OP's address with the list), and advising list members to always use Reply All. This has indeed come up lots of times, but nobody has given a definitive answer as to why it can't/won't/shouldn't be done, at least as long as I've been on the list. (2) Providing a message to the unsubscribed OP who is starting a thread, containing a link to the OP's message in the archive and some information about how to follow the thread that way. I haven't ever seen anything about that approach, have you?