On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:56:42 -0500, Roy <ml...@ncbrandon.com> wrote:

> Apparently people are picking up the mailing list address from various
> unrelated websites.

"Vendors" using this list for their CS was always a problem.

But they also access the list from the OOo site itself, I believe.  I
haven't checked lately, so I'm not familiar with the current
interface.  It used to be very clear that it was a mailing list, and
I'm sure it still is.  But if the user has a problem, especially a CS
problem, and isn't familiar with what a "mailing list" is, they'll
skim right over that.  They just want their problem solved.

And a "newsgroup?"  I'd hazard a guess that very few present-day
computer users have *any* idea what a "newsgroup" is, let alone how to
access one.

> Since it has been this way so long, the only
> solution is to remember to include the poster's email address in all
> noticing the omission).

The thing is, there will always be people who are ready, willing and
able to take on the additional responsibility and take the extra steps
necessary to help these people.  They know what's involved, including
the possibility that the unsubbed user will think they're dealing with
a CS representative, continuing the "support" by emailing them
privately.

So, every-single-person who is active on this list doesn't need to do
that, just like every-single-person who is active on this list doesn't
need to respond to every-single-question.  If you're up to the task,
great!  If not, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

So I don't really understand the people who call for "boycotts" on
replying to unsubscribed posters.  I don't have a problem with
"negative reinforcement," but they ought to understand what they've
done "wrong."  In this case, they don't.  And forcing them to
subscribe to the list -- which is one of the most active that I
follow, if not *the* most active -- would be cruel and unusual
punishment.  :-)

Just do what you can, or what you are willing to do, and leave it at
that?  Seems simple enough to me.

> Any other solution would call for list
> configuration changes that seem to be impossible.

I know nothing about CollabNet, but I've managed many a mailing list.
I admit that it's a mystery to me why some of these changes that would
be so helpful -- like the "Reply-To" issue -- are such a big deal to
implement.  But apparently they were, and still are.  Frankly, I
always thought the solution was to dump CollabNet!  But apparently
that's not an option, either.

Some great ideas are being advanced, but there's nothing in this
latest flood that's new and hasn't been discussed and discussed and
discussed again, to no avail.  As far as I can see, the only
difference is that it's taking up more real estate than usual.  :-)