----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith R Bainbridge" <keithr...@gmail.com>
To: users@openoffice.org
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 2:41:36 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [users] Top posting should be allowed

Good afternoon all, particularly the moderators

I have been criticised a few times for top posting on this list. I haven't
participated much since the last critic.

I started work in 1963. I was told that I just missed out using nibs that you
dip into an ink well.

My first recollections of keeping records were handwritten notes on plain
paper. I progressed to typing and then computerised records.  Back to the paper
- we wrote down the page (of course). However the pages were filed latest on
top. The idea being that when I opened a file I wanted to see the most recent
notes to remind me what had happened recently. When I needed to know more
history I opened the older pages.

When I moved to computerised record keeping this principle has proven better
than the concept of scrolling to the bottom of the 'page' to see what happened
in my last discussion. I am not alone in this thinking. Some data managers
built specially for my work follow this principle.

Which leads me to why some dislike top posting.   If I am following a long
thread the last thing I want to do is page down over the information I have
read before. I want to simply read the new bit that some kind person has added.
(If I need a reminder of what has gone before, I simply scroll. But if I am
interested in the thread this rarely happens.)  If a thread becomes complex,
answers should be inserted where they are relevant.

Surely if I thank somebody for their help, they are entitled to see my thanks
quickly.

I suspect this will start a flame or two, but I am passionate about this.

Comments please.

Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT Vic 3216
+61 (0)408 522 706

keithr...@gmail.com

I agree. I don't like bottom posting, for the reasons mentioned above, but you
had to read all that again, to see my thoughts.

chalcedony
Linda