In news:hl9oj2$lp...@ger.gmane.org,
Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net> typed:
Tanstaafl wrote:
On 2010-02-12 5:12 AM, Linda L. Hull wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith R Bainbridge" <keithr...@gmail.com>

Most people who prefer top-posting do so because they are too lazy
to spend a few extra seconds to properly format their replies.

I could also say that most people who bottom post mindlessly do not
snip either.

Many people don't trim their messages. I often forget myself because
I don't trim until I've completed my response in order to not trim
away something I might respond about but erroeously trimmed earlier.

... All they do is set to start at bottom and type away
thereby forceing people to scroll through sometime pages of stuff

I guess I object to the "mindless" comment which is totally uncalled
for and of no use to the thread.
  And No, all it takes is a CTRL-END to jump to the bottom with the
cursor. Often there is no need to even think about scrolling with the
mouse. Other times I'll not trim so that I can't be accused of having
trimmed out something a responder might think is a lot more relevant
than I did. I also won't trim a particularly good post if it
contains an especially useful passage about how to do something; it
prevents people from having to recall already read and no longer
visible messages to get at the original posting of the information.
So I leave that part in tact and trim around it.
  But the majority of the time trimming is best whenever the length
of the post exceeds more than one or two screens in length.

Personally I often don't care if the post was trimmed or not. It's
only two keys to get to the top or bottom, and PageUp PageDown are
useful too sometimes.  If the entire post has been left in tact; no
problem either. And no need to scroll thru it. Unless I wish to.
  If, however, a post has never been trimmed and there are responses
from multiple people there as denoted by the >, >>, >>>, >>>>, (and
also colors on my screen)  and so on, as I scroll along in those
cases, I might provide responses to several of those people.  It's
obvious from the indents who is being responded to, so it is one
opportunity to comment on several stages of the discussion as it
developed. Much ado about nothing here, really. I say if the posting etiquette
is that important to a person, they should go look for a complaint
group with requiremetns that fit their own needs.  It's the
complainer needs to change, not the already established groups and
guidelines. HTH,

Twayne

Twayne
     Than we are even as I do not care for being sweepingly
characterized as to lazy to properly format my replies. That also is
totally uncalled for and has no use to the thread. I suspect we have
both seen more than our share of extreme devotion to a cause that it
has somewhat jaundiced our reactions and use of language.
     As I stated in my original post what one should do is review the
guidelines for the particular group and adapt your style to conform.
If you are not willing to do that then you really shouldn't be
posting in that group at all.
    My personal preference is not yours and that is going to remain
so. In reality it matters not one wit. What both should and I believe
both of us has tried to do is comply to the best of our abilities to
the quidelines for this group and to argue intelligently and without
purposeful rancour.

Keith N. McKenna (not the op)

Makes sense to me. LIke anything else in the world, there are do's and don't's in order for the masses to particiapte functionally. Someone said "Wen in Rome ... " and that works for me too. Many usenet groups (which this one isn't, really) don't have guidelines and may or may not care about posting methods depending on the concensus that had been reached over time. But even without guidelines there are still RFCs and even an FYI for online netiquette that function for the same purpose and which closely resembles what this group has used for its guidelines.

Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.