Dotan Cohen wrote:

I suggest you learn from the real world.  You might also want to read up on
the Netscape vs Microsoft trial about how MS claimed they couldn't remove
Internet Explorer, because it was part of the operating system, even though
at the time it wasn't.  However, with the next version of Windows, it was
embedded in the operating system, in violation of good software engineering
principles, which then caused browser problems to become operating system
problems.  Microsoft has not gained it's position because of product
quality.  They got there by using illegal or border line illegal methods, up
to and including extortion to force market share.  There is a *LOT* of
documented history of this.  You might also want to look at how they rammed
OOXML through ISO as an example.

Although I agree with you that most of Linux is superiour to most of
Windows, how does that fact negate the equally-valid fact that Windows
has a larger install base of users? I do not understand your argument.
Coming from one of your experience, I would expect a more solid
argument.

Please reread the last paragraph of my post. Microsoft has a long history of doing everything it can to deny choice. Back in the Windows 3.x days, when it ran on top of DOS, they put in a test to determine if DR-DOS was being used. If it found that, it would throw up a bogus error message. This has been proven in court. Then there was the "deal" where computer manufacturers were required to pay for a Windows licence on every computer sold, even it shipped with another OS. Then there's the significant increase in licence costs, if a manufacture shipped any computer with other than Windows. Both of these have also been proven in court. The list goes on and on, proving that Microsoft is a very unethical company, that does not hesitate to use illegal means to force market share. This even goes back to it's early days, when they sold DOS to IBM, before they even owned it. After they got that deal, they bought QDOS from Seattle Computer Products. QDOS was meant to be a hardware development system, while waiting for CP/M-86 to be released. This accounts for many of the shortcomings in DOS, some of which made their way into Windows.