On 2010-05-26 4:29 PM, James Knott wrote:
> What other office suite does that?

How many other (free) office suites are there on windows that can work
with all of Microsoft's office file formats?

> Since it's the operating system that calls an app when a file is
> clicked, why should apps manage file attributes? As I mentioned in
> another note, changing file attributes in Windows is easy.

Lots of applications manage their own file formats. This is nothing new,
nor is it rocket science.

No, it isn't. First, changing them that way does NOT work for templates.

Second, average users *will* flock things up half the time when making
changes that way.

The bottom line is, as long as OOo goes out of its way (remember the
devs *removed* the ability to manage these associations from the
installer GUI, so now that is only available as a command-line install
option) to make this *difficult* for end users (just look at all of the
complaints and problems associated with this issue), it will continue to
be considered a 2nd class citizen as compared to MSO.