In news:4c76edf4.5090...@krackedpress.com,
webmas...@krackedpress.com <webmas...@krackedpress.com> typed:
> On 08/26/2010 03:29 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>  On 22/08/2010 20:37, AG wrote:
>>> I must say that this seems like a very over involved
>>> rigamarole to go through each time I might want to create
>>> some watermark text in a document.  Is the OOo
>>> development team likely to consider making this process
>>> more straightforward like it is in MS Office where the
>>> option is already hard coded into the interface?  This
>>> could be added to the OOo menu as an option to the
>>> background options of graphic and color.
>>
>> The thing is, once you have done this and saved the
>> graphic, then you have it for all time and don't need to
>> do it again. It's rather like labels from an address
>> source - a bit fiddly to set up, but once done is set and
>> you don't have to do it again.
>
> I always use a graphic image for a watermark that is so
> light that it will only print
> in normal or high-quality modes, but WILL NOT show up if it
> is copied. I use it as
> a security device once and a while, with some text saying
> if the watermark is not
> seen, then this is not a valid copy, or something like this.
>
> I also use Watermark text/logos on photos.
> I wonder how you could create/add them to photos using
> OOo's suite. It is hard to manually make Watermark images with the
> software I now use for Ubuntu Linux.  No Photoshop and such
> that I had used for 5-10 years. So if OOo's suite could make the image
> that could be used
> as a background image in Writer or Calc, that would be
> great.
>
> Can DRAW or other OOo option create the Watermark image
> file easily? Using it in Writer as a background image works fine for me,
> even at 6" by 6" logo sizes.
>
> I am learning GIMP, but there is a lot of options I need to
> find "filters" and
> add-ons for and re-learn how to do them in it.  Be nice to
> know OOo's options
> so I do not need to have one set of skills for Windows and
> one for Ubuntu/Linux
> systems.  Need that since Ubuntu 10.04 messed up the HP
> printer driver sets so the
> color is off on the color laser, where 9.x worked.  So I
> use Ubuntu to create/edit
> color docs, and use a Win XP laptop to print them.  I have
> to reuse Ubuntu to edit
> and then reuse Win to print instead of having one suite of
> software, like OOo, that
> works on both easily and the same on Win and Linux. GIMP is
> not easy, so hoping
> that OOo might be easier.

I think this has been covered, but I'd like to reiterate just in case it was
missed. Many printers have watermark capability. Both my Epson inkjet and HP
Color Laser have it. They both put DRAFT or CONFIDENTIAL defaults, or
whatever words you want up to whatever will fit for the font you choose, at
a corner-to-cornerpage location. They add it to every page of a document,
plus allow you to choose the transparency of the mark, and puts it behind
any text so the text remains readable over it.

I also agree; OO.o should have the feature to automate the watermark
process. It's not obvious to the inexperienced how to create one to use. I
wouldn't hold my breath for any changes, though; OO.o is still crammed full
of old, early version bugs that never seem to get taken care of. If
something half-fast works, they seem to not want to go back and fix the
shortcomings.
   Anyway, if you need a watermark, check your printers, too. I was rather
pleased to see it on my old $69 Epson Inkjet printer.

HTH,

Twayne`