On Wed Oct 06 2010 10:22:48 GMT-0700 (PDT)  AG wrote:
Hello all

Two (unrelated) questions on using Calc:

(1) How do I freeze a row so that scrolling through the rest of the spreadsheet the top/ frozen row remains visible?

On the top of the scroll bar, just above the up arrow, you should see a dark line. Place the mouse pointer on this and the pointer changes to a double headed arrow. Right click and hold to move where you want the separation. For columns the line in on the right end of the lower scroll bar.

(2) When mousing over the various menus, the yellow text bubble that explains what the item does conceals the menu items concerned. How can I shift the bubble so that it no longer obscures the menu item it describes?

There is no way to reposition the help pop-up. You can turn off the tips, Tools> Options> OpenOffice.org> General . At the top select/deselect Tips.

HTH