On 2010-10-30 9:24 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
> If a shared file system is 'playing tricks', it sounds like a
> candidate for being fixed. Breaking something else as a workaround
> for a broken system doesn't sound to me like a terribly good idea.

Windows provides the ability to have very fine-grained permissions.

You can set permissions on a folder such that a user can modify existing
files, but not create new ones.

OOo provides a windows version of its program, and should allow for full
interaction with said OS.

There is nothing 'broken' about such a setup.

All that said - I just tested this again with 3.2.o and apparently it is
no longer an issue... it works like it used to (no lock file created)...
so, my apologies for maiing much ado about nothing, and my thanks to
whoever fixed it... :)