On 2010-10-30 5:53 PM, JOE Conner wrote:
> It *used* to have a problem allowing multiple people to edit a file
> simultaneously.  This problem was *real* and desperately needed fixing.

Fine - but when fixing things like this, it is always best to provide a
fall-back to the old method so as to avoid breaking things for others
relying on the old behavior.

> Since *you* are the *IT* department, then you have within your own
> power to solve your problem. It seems to me that the lock file was a
> much sought after solution, and it is you who are requesting a
> regression.

No, I am requesting maintaining backwards compatibility... something
that should always be maintained whenever possible.

> That being said it seems to me that the solution is in fixing the
> file permissions to properly allow the creation of the lock file and
> properly training the people who would edit the file that they
> have no *authority* to create any other files and to have suitable
> penalties established for violators.

Right - trust users to just do the right thing... you don't do much
end-user support do you? ;)

> A second solution, one *you would like*, would be for the file
> locking to follow some other procedure other than creating a lock
> file in the first place.

No - just set an alternate lock file directory *shared by everyone on
the domain* - there is no reason this wouldn't work just as well as
creating the lock file in the same directory as the file itself.

But as I said in my last email, apparently someone listened and fixed
this as it is now working (3.2.0)...

So, again, my thanks to whoever fixed it, and my apologies for the noise.