Greetings;

Just now doing some tests to see how printing worked from 1.1.9-m109
compared to 1.1.4, useing the two versions own spadmin utils.

Starting with the m109 version I see it has most of the cups options
available, and that it defaulted to CMYK color model mode.  I ran a
test page.  Very poor color, identical ditto for another page in KCMY
mode.  Switching to RGB I at least have a red/green gamut in the
spiral pattern, and decently saturated blue/green/red at the right
ends of the straight bars.  No visible yellows in the spiral pattern
or any of the 3 modes I tried, and the buterffly only printed in CMYK
mode, very poorly rendered.  KCMY and RGB modes resulted in the
butterfly image being replaced with a warped square pattern for
those modes.  I made the RGB and 1440x1440 modes the defaults in the
lp3 default printer for 1.1.9-m109.  The 1440x1440 mode is whats
refered to as the gold standard for an epson c82, but its watching
paint dry slow.  20+ minutes a page...

Then I fired up the 1.1.4 version of spadmin and found I didn't have
the ability to change or control any of the above, apparently the
connection to cups isn't quite as well developed in 1.1.4.  A test
page did however print the butterfly, and the straight bars seem to
be colored as they were for the RGB setting in the 1.1.9-m109 vesion
of spadmin.  Ditto for the spiral pattern, but again it was all
primary colors, no subtractive colors which takes pretty good gamma
tracking to pull that off as each primary is actually two inks.

I also note that the triple lines used to check margins were very well
centered in 1.1.4, but expanded enough to place the bottom line off
the page in 1.1.9-m109.  I assume thats because I made no effort to
set the margins in the newer one, but probably already had in the
older one at some time in the past.

This was the setting I used last winter to print my christmas cards,
cards which got me asked what photo shop did them by everyone who got
one.  They were that good!

So my question then is if and when the CKMY mode might be made
operational?  Or is this a cups problem?  Currently using
cups-1.1.23, tarball built.

I get the impression that in RGB modes, its useing all color ink but
no black to generate the blacks, whereas in the other modes, there
should be some color under removal where black ink is subbed in those
areas of the image where a reasonable facsimily of black is needed.
Quite a bit easier on the ink usage if done right.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)