On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 10:30 +0200, Philipp Lohmann - Sun Germany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Just now doing some tests to see how printing worked from 1.1.9-m109
> > compared to 1.1.4, useing the two versions own spadmin utils.
> >
> > Starting with the m109 version I see it has most of the cups options
> > available, and that it defaulted to CMYK color model mode.  I ran a
> > test page.  Very poor color, identical ditto for another page in KCMY
> > mode.  Switching to RGB I at least have a red/green gamut in the
> > spiral pattern, and decently saturated blue/green/red at the right
> > ends of the straight bars.  No visible yellows in the spiral pattern
> > or any of the 3 modes I tried, and the buterffly only printed in CMYK
> > mode, very poorly rendered.  KCMY and RGB modes resulted in the
> > butterfly image being replaced with a warped square pattern for
> > those modes.  I made the RGB and 1440x1440 modes the defaults in the
> > lp3 default printer for 1.1.9-m109.  The 1440x1440 mode is whats
> > refered to as the gold standard for an epson c82, but its watching
> > paint dry slow.  20+ minutes a page...

The pdf of the User Guide that went to the printer used CMYK and has
reproduced nicely from 1.1.4.

> The CMYK mode must be a default option within your CUPS system; alas
> there is no CMYK support at all in OOo, so that will probably not get
> you far, sorry. It might be more promising setting up a print queue on
> you system that specializes in RGB.

Phillipp,

I have attached a screenshot from m109 that certainly offers CMYK. Are
you saying that this function does not work? If yes then we have a major
problem as printing shops often require CMYK to properly render colours
on the presses.

> > Then I fired up the 1.1.4 version of spadmin and found I didn't have
> > the ability to change or control any of the above, apparently the
> > connection to cups isn't quite as well developed in 1.1.4.  A test
>
> There is no connection to CUPS in 1.1.4 at all. CUPS support is a 2.0
> feature unless you use one of the downports of e.g. debian or ximian.
>
> > So my question then is if and when the CKMY mode might be made
> > operational?  Or is this a cups problem?  Currently using
> > cups-1.1.23, tarball built.
>
> CMYK support is not going to come soon to OOo IMHO, sorry. You'll want
> to experiment with CUPS so that you get a print queue that achieves
> reasonable results with RGB.

I am not so certain. Please investigate further and let us know.

> > I get the impression that in RGB modes, its useing all color ink but
> > no black to generate the blacks, whereas in the other modes, there
> > should be some color under removal where black ink is subbed in those
> > areas of the image where a reasonable facsimily of black is needed.
> > Quite a bit easier on the ink usage if done right.
>
> I think this might be more of a driver problem. I can't be sure, though.
>
> Kind regards, pl

Lastly, if, after some more investigation, it is proven that OOo2.0 no
longer supports CMYK, please enter an issue into Issue
Tracker as this is the best way to have requests such as this evaluated.

If you haven't already registered, do the following:

     1. To file an issue you must register with OOo by clicking the
        My Pages tab and selecting the Register link
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join
     2. Fill in your information
     3. Reply to the confirmation email that will be sent to the address
        you provided.
     4. Once you have confirmed, go to www.openoffice.org again
     5. And click on the "Bugs & Issues" link in the General links box.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is important that you file
any examples with the issue to ensure your need is understood.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead