A "mirror" site is one that has the same files available for download as the home server of the project. Mirrors are used to distribute the load. If there was only one server, every time there is a new release, that server would be severely overloaded and hardly anyone would get a copy of the new release.

Depending upon any of several factors, you might find better speed from one site compared to others. It will normally be a site in the same country as you, but not necessarily. I get the best performance from Indiana U, for what it's worth.

Doug

Nancy wrote:
Okay, I feel dumb.  What is a (mirror) download site?  I live in
Idaho.  Does my location have something to do with it?

I used to have Microsoft Office but just had to completely clean out
my computer and lost everything.  Your office program sounds like
it's just what I need.

Would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Nancy