Robin wrote:

> After thinking about this overnight, I would like to see a dialog box that
> reveals the details of the formatting at the cursor location.

Otehr than each style that is currently being used is displayed in its
own line, rather than own box, how does your proposal differ from what
is currently available?

>    Font: xxx
>    Font style: xxx

> font can change ccording to the numbering, pragraph, or charcter style that
> is currently being used.

>when you import multiple formatted documents, highliting and changing
the style doesn't always work, and in my experience, hardly works.

Highlight the affected text, then ">Format >default"  save the
document, then highlight the text again,  "<CTRL F12>  >Appropriate
style type >Appropriate style".

>  In most cases, I cannot think of any formatting before the document is
> completed as I have no idea what will be included until much later.

Content and markup are unrelated, and all attempts to put the two
together are doomed to failure.  [Now I see why you are such a fan of
reveal codes.  That function is purely because people don't udnerstand
that markup and contents are two totally discongruent things, and
should have zero links between them. ]

>Many people pulling information from many sources.

It doesn't matter how many sources, or what markup those sources use.

> And wont let me change it in any way through the styles, at least not in a
> way that I have already learned.

Set the character style to default, then set the numbering style to
default, then set the paragraph style to default.   [An operation that
is much easier, and faster to do, than describe.  But it does require
that one know the attributes of each style that one uses.   And which
styles re implicit in which styles.  ]

> I feel that OOo has the ability with the inclusion of a styles indicator box
> that could display the properties for the particular point that the cursor is
> at.  Add in the ability to go to the individual styles used at that point,
> would provide almost the same functionabilty as Reveal Codes within the
> framework of styles.

And just how does that differ from what is currently available from
within OOo, and _not_ installing the "Reveal Codes" macro?

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.