Bruce Byfield wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 12:05 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:

Don't forget to add in the create the necessary styles to achieve what
you have to achieve. This is the biggest problem with styles. You have to know what the individual styles do. You don't need to setup a style in WP before you edit a document.

You don't need to do so in OOo, either. However, in both word
processors, you can work a lot more efficiently if you do.

Years ago when I used Word Perfect, I used Reveal Codes until I learned
what styles were about. After that, I never needed Reveal Codes, because
I used styles religiously.

You beautifully illustrate an aspect of RC that seems the most important to me and that has never been discussed (I mentioned it a year ago - or was it two?): Reveal coes as a learning tool. RC can take a lot of frustration out of the first steps of using a word processor, especially when beginning to use styles.

A surprisingly large part of this discussion has been chasing the red herring of "styles are better than Reveal Codes". RC doesn't format anything, it reveals where what kind of formatting hits in, and as long as people make mistakes it makes sense to give them an efficient tool like this to find them.

klaus