That works if I need to sum just one column, but I am talking about
several columns at once. In this case it either does not work or I am
doing something wrong.

Try using a formula in the form of (without the quote signs) " =SUM(1st COLUMN) + SUM(2nd COLUMN) + SUM(3rd COLUMN) " etc. for as many columns you choose. Alternatively, you can do something in the form like " =SUM(upper left cell : lower right cell) " but this will work only if the columns you wish to sum are contiguous.