After reading all of the answers and workarounds that were passed on through the list it's save to say that the answer to the OP's question is NO. Calc behaves different from Excel in this matter.

Arnold Huzen

Joe Conner schreef:

That works if I need to sum just one column, but I am talking about
several columns at once. In this case it either does not work or I am
doing something wrong.

Try using a formula in the form of (without the quote signs) " =SUM(1st COLUMN) + SUM(2nd COLUMN) + SUM(3rd COLUMN) " etc. for as many columns you choose. Alternatively, you can do something in the form like " =SUM(upper left cell : lower right cell) " but this will work only if the columns you wish to sum are contiguous.