Been wondering about that one myself. If it's supposed to be a "Standard" in which all documents are written, and the "Standard" is a closely guarded MS proprietary secret, who in the world could believe that it will be available to absolutely everyone?

Was it actually just as bald as it seemed, a ploy to force the whole world to use MS?

JimW

John Meyer wrote:
Harold Fuchs wrote:
Slightly off topic but of interest, I think. Sorry if it's old news - I've
been away.

Okay, forgive me for being the idjit on this one, but given Microsoft's proprietary nature, why in the world would it want to make OOXML an "open standard"? As one poster put it on that blog, all of Microsoft's other formats have become more or less de facto and they haven't been opened up. And as far as the "competing on standards", that's like saying you're going to compete on languages to my thinking.