I've played around some more with queries, trying to get it to sort
on the second field before the first. By turning off the sort, then
clicking on the 'visible' box it turns off, then you can turn the
sort back on. However, once you try to run it the 'visible' checkbox
turns on again.
Since I understand SQL I discovered that by sxwitching off the
design view I could edit the SQL SELECT command directly. By
simply swapping the 'first' and 'last' order in the SORT clause
I was able to achieve my desired aim. However, as soon as I
switch back to design view it get changed back.
Anyone any suggestions as to how to get this to work.
I can't believe that this problem hasn't been spotted before

Bill