Another recommendation is to run Linux, where viruses are not an issue.

Yes, I'd agree with that sentiment.  Having used Linux for just over a
year, I'm delighted at how easy it is and at not having to worry about
"nasties".

I've been running Linux as my main OS for over 6 years and OS/2 for 10
more before that.  Viruses are extremely unlikely on both platforms,
simply due to the design of the operating system, something that's
lacking in Windows.  With OS/2, as with Linux, about the only way for a
virus to take hold is via the boot sector.  There are other mechanisms
on both, that make life difficult for a virus.

This all sounds good, and I have considered trying out Linux, but I use sever commercial programs such as Quicken & Telechart that will not run on Linux.