Bob Estes wrote:

James Knott wrote:
Bob Estes wrote:
Another recommendation is to run Linux, where viruses are not an
issue.

Yes, I'd agree with that sentiment. Having used Linux for just over a year, I'm delighted at how easy it is and at not having to worry about
"nasties".

I've been running Linux as my main OS for over 6 years and OS/2 for 10
more before that.  Viruses are extremely unlikely on both platforms,
simply due to the design of the operating system, something that's
lacking in Windows. With OS/2, as with Linux, about the only way for a
virus to take hold is via the boot sector.  There are other mechanisms
on both, that make life difficult for a virus.

This all sounds good, and I have considered trying out Linux, but I
use sever commercial programs such as Quicken & Telechart that will
not run on Linux.

Many Windows apps will run on Linux, using Wine or Crossover Office. Wine is included in many Linux distributions and Crossover Office is a
commercial product, based on Wine.  Quicken will run on Crossover
Office, but I have no idea about Telechart.  Also, Codeweavers, the
company that produces Crossover Office, contributes back to Wine, so
Quicken may run with it too.
www.codeweavers.com

That is good to know. I have been thinking about getting a second drive and using it as a Linux drive in a dual boot configuration. This would give me the opportunity to try out Linux while still keeping my Windows drive.
If you have enough memory you could also try to use Linux in VMWare. The advantage is that you can run both Windows and Linux at the same time. After you get used to it, you can reverse the situation and have Windows in the Virtual Machine for the things that can't get migrated to Linux. That way you're very safe and still have backward compatibility. Don't try it with less than 1 GB, 2 GB is preferred. Add another GB if working on Vista.

Jo