James Knott wrote:
Bob Estes wrote:
Another recommendation is to run Linux, where viruses are not an
issue.

Yes, I'd agree with that sentiment.  Having used Linux for just over a
year, I'm delighted at how easy it is and at not having to worry about
"nasties".

I've been running Linux as my main OS for over 6 years and OS/2 for 10
more before that.  Viruses are extremely unlikely on both platforms,
simply due to the design of the operating system, something that's
lacking in Windows.  With OS/2, as with Linux, about the only way for a
virus to take hold is via the boot sector.  There are other mechanisms
on both, that make life difficult for a virus.

This all sounds good, and I have considered trying out Linux, but I
use sever commercial programs such as Quicken & Telechart that will
not run on Linux.

Many Windows apps will run on Linux, using Wine or Crossover Office. Wine is included in many Linux distributions and Crossover Office is a
commercial product, based on Wine.  Quicken will run on Crossover
Office, but I have no idea about Telechart.  Also, Codeweavers, the
company that produces Crossover Office, contributes back to Wine, so
Quicken may run with it too.
www.codeweavers.com

That is good to know. I have been thinking about getting a second drive and using it as a Linux drive in a dual boot configuration. This would give me the opportunity to try out Linux while still keeping my Windows drive.