Bob Estes wrote:

>>> Yes, I'd agree with that sentiment.  Having used Linux for just over a
>>> year, I'm delighted at how easy it is and at not having to worry about
>>> "nasties".
>>>

>> I've been running Linux as my main OS for over 6 years and OS/2 for 10
>> more before that.  Viruses are extremely unlikely on both platforms,
>> simply due to the design of the operating system, something that's
>> lacking in Windows.  With OS/2, as with Linux, about the only way for a
>> virus to take hold is via the boot sector.  There are other mechanisms
>> on both, that make life difficult for a virus.
>>

> This all sounds good, and I have considered trying out Linux, but I
> use sever commercial programs such as Quicken & Telechart that will
> not run on Linux.

Many Windows apps will run on Linux, using Wine or Crossover Office.
Wine is included in many Linux distributions and Crossover Office is a
commercial product, based on Wine.  Quicken will run on Crossover
Office, but I have no idea about Telechart.  Also, Codeweavers, the
company that produces Crossover Office, contributes back to Wine, so
Quicken may run with it too.
www.codeweavers.com