This all sounds good, and I have considered trying out Linux, but I
use sever commercial programs such as Quicken & Telechart that will
not run on Linux.

You say that meaning one thing but i hear something else:
"I am suffering with vendor lock-in on some of the programs i use."

That is absolutely correct.

Have you looked into alternatives and exit strategies for when your must
have program is discontinued, becomes obsolete, is no longer supported
or the company goes belly up? Note i said when, not if. Can it save data
in a format usable by other programs?

No, I haven't done that yet, but it sounds like a good idea. Quicken has been around long enough that other programs can probably import Quicken data. At the very least, it can be exported to a spreadsheet. Telechart is another matter. It is a free stock analysis/charting program from Worden Brothers. It's a great program, but it's worthless without their tracking service. (US$29 per month) I have a couple of other programs that may or may not be exportable. I'll need to check into that.