On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:22:28 -0800
John Stile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> I have noticed new Linux users stick with the first distribution they
> try, until it fails them in some way.  Don't let that be your motivator.
>
> When selecting it is good to compare differences between package system,
> system configuration, user community support,  package update
> dependability, among other things.

New users would not be aware yet of the difference between RPM and
Debian package management, let alone portage. They don't even grasp yet
the whole idea of package management. And having said that, they
wouldn't understand different desktops either - Gnome v. KDE v. several
others.

For beginners I always recommend Ubuntu because it is easy and has
about the best hardware support. But you're right about one thing -
Linux users tend to stick with the first distribution they install. But
it's not because they are not willing to experiment and try other
distros. It is because their needs have not changed and the distro they
started with is the one that still best meets those needs.

Personally, I started with Suse, tried Mandriva, then several others,
and ended up with Ubuntu. Why Ubuntu? Because at the time I was using a
Compaq R3240 that has a screeen capable of 1680 x 1050 with an nVidia
chip. Try as I might, I could never get any other distro to do better
than Vesa 1020 x 768. I installed drivers and poked for hours without
success. Then I tried Ubuntu, which came up in glorious 1680 x 1024,
having recognized the nVidia chip and autoconfigured the video for it.

Since then I have bought two different new computers, and each time I
tried different distros. And each time Ubuntu did the best job, hands
down. One one of them, Fedora 8, was actually better in several ways.
But then I tried to install packages and discovered that Fedora's RPM
package management sucks compared to Debian. I went back to Ubuntu,
tweaked the drivers as necessary to equal Fedora's autoconfiguration,
and haven't looked back.

The advice to try several is valid, but new users sometimes don't even
understand the differences. All they see is that one distro "works
better" than others, and that is what they choose. But that is OK.
There is nothing wrong with starting with a distro that is easy, using
it to learn more about Linux, and then trying other things later. I've
been using Linux for nearly three years and I still have no idea how to
do many things. But that is also OK. I participate in a local Linux
user group e-list where I can ask questions and, since I use Ubuntu,
the forums are awesome. (You don't have to use Ubuntu to use the
forums.)

Newcomers to Linux should also be aware that in the open source world
you are expected to give back to the community. There is no formal
scorecard on this - it is a matter of trust and conscience. I give back
by answering questions on the Ubuntu forums now and then when I know an
answer to something, and here as well, and I also participate in a
local Linux Clinic where people bring their computers and we help them
with installs and other issues. How and how much you give back is up to
the individual. We have a sort of communist ideal - from each according
to his ability, to each according to his need.

So to the original poster, download and try out several distros. Those
that have a live CD are best for starters. But don't get religion about
whatever you decide to install.