A.Muller wrote:
> Hello everybody !
> I've been monitoring this mailing list for a couple of months and
> received answers to my questions about OO. Thanks to the benefactors.
> My experience with OO goes back to 2005 and I'm very satisfied with it.
> Now I would like to cross the Rubicon and eliminate, gradually, XP from
> my machine. I've read many posts relating this or that bug/difficulty of
> OO with some specific distributions of Linux. In your experience, which
> one would be the best to start with among the different distros :
> Mandriva, Ubuntu, Suse, Debian or whatever ? Thank you for your advice.
> A.Muller

I would strongly Ubuntu. It is based on Debian (*the* rock solid
distribution) but is very user friendly while retaining Debian's stability.

You can download the ubuntu Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/; click on
Download and choose to get Ubuntu 7.10), burn it to a CD, insert it in
your computer's drive, reboot computer _from that drive_ and you can try
out Ubuntu without actually having to install anything.

If you like what you see, you can next install it on your computer. Once
installed, the GUI interface is pretty good and you can start using it
right away.

Finally, one you have it installed, or also during the installation, you
may need some support or need to get a few answers. For this, subscribe
to Ubuntu Users mailing list
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users). It is an
excellent mailing list and you can have almost every kind of help in
Ubuntu there.

->HS