On 02/19/2008 08:23 AM, James Knott wrote:
> A.Muller wrote:
>> Hello everybody !
>> I've been monitoring this mailing list for a couple of months and
>> received answers to my questions about OO. Thanks to the benefactors.
>> My experience with OO goes back to 2005 and I'm very satisfied with it.
>> Now I would like to cross the Rubicon and eliminate, gradually, XP from
>> my machine. I've read many posts relating this or that bug/difficulty of
>> OO with some specific distributions of Linux. In your experience, which
>> one would be the best to start with among the different distros :
>> Mandriva, Ubuntu, Suse, Debian or whatever ? Thank you for your advice.
>> A.Muller
>>

> I suspect those "bugs" are in the specific version of OO that came with
> a particular distro.  However, there's nothing to stop you from
> installing the original  version from www.openoffice.org, instead of the
> distro specific version.  So, choose your distro according to your own
> preferences and go from there.

I agree with James. Also be aware that different versions of the same
'distro' may have different versions of OOo. For example, Ubuntu doesn't
offer 2.3.1 until the next Hardy release, and the current Gutsy version
(used by most now not running a Long Term Support distro) is version 2.3.0:

<http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=openoffice.org>
Package openoffice.org

    * dapper (editors): OpenOffice.org Office suite version 2.0
      2.0.2-2ubuntu12.5-1: amd64
      2.0.2-2ubuntu12-1: amd64
      2.0.2-2ubuntu12.5: i386 powerpc
      2.0.2-2ubuntu12: i386 powerpc
    * edgy (editors): OpenOffice.org Office suite version 2.0
      2.0.4-0ubuntu7: amd64 i386 powerpc
      2.0.4-0ubuntu2: amd64 i386 powerpc
    * feisty (editors): OpenOffice.org Office suite
      2.2.0-1ubuntu5: amd64 i386 powerpc
      2.2.0-1ubuntu3: amd64 i386 powerpc
    * gutsy (editors): OpenOffice.org Office suite
      1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5: amd64 i386 powerpc
    * hardy (editors): OpenOffice.org Office suite
      1:2.3.1-3ubuntu3: amd64 i386
      1:2.3.1-3ubuntu2: powerpc

That in itself isn't usually a big problem (particularly since you can
install the standard OOo version directly), but it is something to be
aware of. Further, the Ubuntu and Debian OOo version is based on
Novell's ximian version; that has some advantages towards running sound
etc., out-of-the-box, but disadvantages when troubleshooting & reporting
bugs in the standard OOo bug reporting system. For Ubuntu you need to
report bugs directly to Ubuntu
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bugs) and similar
for any other distro (Novell/Suse/Debian for example) to their
particular bug reporting system.
  Those distro's will try to fix the bug first, and then report the bug
upstream if they cannot fix it. In some instances this causes delays in
getting a resolution, in others it can be *much* quicker, and easier,
getting a fix than the standard OOo bug system
(http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html).