Hi BenoƮt, *,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Benoit Paquette wrote:

>  The Windows uninstall utility does not see OpenOffice.
>  ----
>  I tried the Winsdows uninstall tool. It does not see OO.

Please try again.

?

> 2.4.0 (newer) will not install because a prevoius version was not removed.
> i.e. it says remove old first. I cant.

No, there's no need to uninstall a previous version of OOo.
Windows Installer failed to remove a previous version of it's
Installer database.

> I tried installing 2.3.0, it says this version 2.3 is already installed and
> quits.
> I tried to install 2.0.0 and it says another version is installed and quits.

Who is "it"?
Apart from that: You're confusing Windows ...  ;-)

... and it isn't the best way for a clean installation ...

>  So far, nothing works. I remove all the OO files that I could find. I remove
>  all the registry entries with "soffice" and "openoffice".

> QUESTION: How does the installer know that a previous version was installed ?

You'll find this information inside the directory <C:\Windows\Installer ...>
At least one of those *.msi files belongs to an OOo installation.

The utility is removing this file.

The 'CleanUp Utility'
"removes [...] the Windows Installer configuration information that is related
to those programs."

You may remove it manually.

Add the view 'author' in Windows explorer
(and you'll find an entry 'OpenOffice.org' in that column).

Remove the corresponding *.msi.

Reboot your OS
(utilize a registry cleaner, e.g. CCleaner).

> Then tell me what files or registry entry to remove or modify. HELP !

see above ...

Manfred

<http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html>
<http://support.openoffice.org/index.html>