- -------- Original Message --------
From: John Lutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun 09 Mar 2008 09:17:42 EST

| Dear Sirs/Ma'am/Ms:
|
| I am using Open Office 2.3 on Vista.   My question is why is not Open
|  Office Impress compatable with Power Point.

My question is, what makes you believe OOo (OpenOffice.org) Impress is
not compatible with MS (Microsoft) Powerpoint? I open and save
Powerpoint files with Impress almost every working day and I experience
very few (minor) incompatibilities.

| As a minister I can down load lots of things and use it for power
| point but Impress does not work on our computer at the church.   Is
| there a solution for my problem?

You say that "it" does not work on your computer, but you do not tell us
what you mean by "not working". What happens when you try to open a
Powerpoint presentation in Impress? Do you see any error messages? If
so, what do they say?

Are the files you are trying to open, in MS binary (".ppt", ".pps")
format, or the new "non-standard" MS OOXML (Office Open Extensible
Markup Language) ".pptx" format? At the present time the only software
that can open this new MS format with 100% accuracy is Powerpoint 2007.
Some degree of compatibility for this format will be added to a future
version of OOo.

| How easy or hard is it to down load Open Office at the Church
| Computer?

It is not "hard", but does require you to have a fairly fast Internet
connection to download the installation file within a reasonable period
of time.

I normally recommend the enhanced version of OOo called "Oxygen Office
Professional". This is still OOo, but this edition includes a number of
extras and enhancements, one of them being the ability to open MS Office
2007 ".docx, .xlsx, pptx" files. The conversion is not 100% perfect, but
then neither is Microsoft's own Compatibility Pack for earlier versions
of MS Office [1].

Oxygen Office Professional can be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop

It is a fairly large download (approx. twice the size of the "official"
edition) and you will need to completely uninstall any current version
of OOo before you install Oxygen Office Professional.

[1] http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

| Thanks for any help you can give me.   It will be appreciated!
|
| Sincerely Yours,
|
| Rev. John V. Lutton

Hope this helps.

Dave

- --
This is a mailing list which exists to support users of OpenOffice.org
All answers are given by other users who volunteer their time.
If you are not subscribed to this mailing list you may not see all the
replies to your query. Please reply to users@openoffice.org only.
You should also be aware that all details of messages posted to this
list are publicly available to anyone with an Internet connection
For mailing list info see: http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
For on-line support see: http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
For a knowledge base see: http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/