Dear Jim: Thanks, but I've done exectly what you said & got nowhere. I have 'Replace dashes' ticked & I have duly entered the "-" and "--", but I still just get a hyphen. Any idea why? TS ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Allan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:18 PM
Subject: [users] Re: N-dashes

thomas steel wrote:
I use N-dashes very frequently in my work. Can anyone tell me a simple way in OOWriter to make one insertable with one press of a key? T. Steel

This is built into the autocorrection section of OpenOffice.org writer. If under Tools -> Autocorrect -> Options you have “Replace dashes” ticked, then entering two adjoining hyphens like this “--” will produce an en-dash. To be sure, it is not just one press of a key, but is reasonably simply.

There are actually more things you can do to force en-dashes and em-dashes. See dashes under Help for more details.

Jim Allan