thomas steel wrote:
Dear Jim: Thanks, but I've done exectly what you said & got nowhere. I have 'Replace dashes' ticked & I have duly entered the "-" and "--", but I still just get a hyphen. Any idea why?

No idea at all. This method of creating a dash has been in OpenOffice.org as long as I’ve been using it, since 1.1 in fact and similar techniques are part of Microsoft Word and Word Perfect. I recall them occurring in other Word Processors also.

If you type a word, two normal hyphens, and then another word following, the two hyphens, after about a tenth of a second the hyphens change into an em-dash, that is from “was made--about yesterday” becomes “was made–about yesterday”. If you leave spaces around the hyphens you get “was made -- about yesterday” becoming was made — about yesterday” with an en-dash instead.

The full specification of this hyphen behavior can be found in Help under “AutoCorrect function”, subentry “options”. Note this doesn’t work when typing hyphens between symbols such as ¦ and @. You must use letters or digits, though this includes letters and digits outside of the ASCII range.

Just be sure the entry is checked in at least the “M” column under Tools -> Autocorrect... -> Options. Check that the other options also work (or inexplicably don’t work also). I don’t know of any way of turning off or on any of these items other than removing the check mark in this single window. So there isn’t, so far as I know, any secret override.

You might try rebooting of course.

You can at any rate find the en-dash in most modern fonts in the “Insert special character window”. It is the Unicode character U+2013 near the beginning of the “General Punctuation” section, right before the em-dash and quotation-dash along with quotation marks and other non-ASCII punctuation.

Dashes can also be achieved on most machines through some sort of standard method of getting special characters. On Windows, with Num-Lock on, you press the left-Alt key and keep it pressed while typing 0150 on the numeric keypad. The code 0151 produces the em-dash instead. This works with almost any program. Other operating systems have other standard methods.

Or you can a keyboard editor. Minimal and very useful keyboard editors are available at no cost for most operating systems.

But you really shouldn’t need this when OpenOffice provides a reasonable way of doing getting an en-dash.

Jim Allan

Replace Dashes

Replaces one or two hyphens with a long dash (see the following table).
Text will be replaced after you type a trailing white space (space, tab, or return). In the following table, the A and B represent text consisting of letters A to z or digits 0 to 9.
Text that you type:
Result that you get:
A - B (A, space, minus, space, B)
A – B (A, space, en-dash, space, B)
A -- B (A, space, minus, minus, space, B)
A – B (A, space, en-dash, space, B)
A--B (A, minus, minus, B)
A—B (A, em-dash, B)
(see note below the table)
A-B (A, minus, B)
A-B (unchanged)
A -B (A, space, minus, B)
A -B (unchanged)
A --B (A, space, minus, minus, B)
A –B (A, space, en-dash, B)

If the text has the Hungarian or Finnish language attribute, then two hyphens in the sequence A--B are replaced by an en-dash instead of an em-dash.