2008/8/4 DEAN AND GAIL TEMPLE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> OK, so I have downloaded Oo.o 2.4 onto my C drive into a separate folder
> and now want to use it for the first time.  I have registered thru the Sun
> site, have a user name and a password.  No acct number- don't know if I need
> that.
>
> So what do I do next to get into this program for the first time?  Don't
> see any xxx.exe file to open, etc.
>
> Thanks, Dean

I assume from the fact that you say "C drive" that you are using Windows.
Have you actually installed the software rather than merely downloaded the
installation file? Please read and carefully follow the Installation
Instructions on the download page (clisk "Installation Instructions" at <
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html>. Once you have installed the
software you will find a folder in your Start>All Programs area named
OpenOffice. Just choose the component you want - Writer for text documents,
Calc for Spreadsheets, Impress for Presentations and Base for databases.

Not sure why you registered at the Sun site; you didn't need to. Installing
and using OpenOffice requires *no* user name or password of any sort. When
you install the software it asks you to register. That's optional. It
doesn't affect anything about the software or support. It only helps the
authors keep track of roughly how many people have the software and roughly
where they are. Of course, if you like the software, you are very welcom to
make a contribution ;-) The place for that is <
http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html>. Again, purely optional.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England