From: Strahil Nikolov <hunter86...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:48 PM
To: users@ovirt.org; adrianquint...@gmail.com
Subject: [ovirt-users] Re: Damaged hard disk in volume replica gluster

On February 19, 2020 10:31:04 PM GMT+02:00, adrianquint...@gmail.com wrote:
>Strahil,
>Let me take a step back and provide a bit more context of what we need
>to achieve.
>
>We have a 3 node HCI setup, and host1 has a failed drive (/dev/sdd)
>that is used entirely for 1 brick ( /gluster_bricks/data2/data2), this
>is a Replica 3 brick  setup.
>
>The issue we have is that we don't have any more drive bays in our
>enclosure cages to add an extra disk and use it to replace the bad
>drive/Brick (/dev/sdd).
>
>What would be the best way to replace the drive/brick in this
>situation? and what is the order in which the steps need to be
>completed?
>
>I think I know how to replace a bad brick with a different brick and
>get things up and running, but in this case as mentioned above I have
>not more drive bays to allocate a new drive.
>UOEUQITPIIIS6TBDRYJ5T5O/

Hm...
What about LVM setup.

I will assume some stuff, but this doesn't mean that it is right.

Asumptions:
/dev/sdd is the only PV in the VG
You have thin pool ontop /dev/sdd
When /dev/sdd is missing ->  the VG disappeared You have excluded /dev/sdd
from multipath.

So, you need to:
1. Remove broken disk (anyway it's useless) 2. Push the new one 3. If you have
a raid controller  - create a logical lun with only the new disk 4. The new
disk will be somwthing like /dev/sdz 5. Create new PV, VG ,  LV vgcreate OLD_VG
/dev/sdz
Note: If you use  filters  -  pick the proper  disk name lvcreate -l 100%FREE
-T OLD_VG/OLD_THINPOOL lvcreate -V <old_size>G -T OLD_VG/OLD_THINPOOL -n
OLD_THIN_VOL_NAME 6. Create a filesystem mkfs.xfs /dev/OLD_VG/OLD_THIN_VOL_NAME

Note: you might get errors on all LVM commands  complaining about /dev/sdd.To
get rid of that ,  you have to delete that disk:
echo 1  > /sys/block/sdd/device/delete

7. Update /etc/fstab or systemd unit  if the old FS was not XFS 8. Mount the
brick:
mount /gluster_bricks/data2
mkdir /gluster_bricks/data2/data2
restorecon -RFvv /gluster_bricks/data2

9. Reset the brick
A) You can do it from oVirt UI -> Storage -> Volumes -> Bricks -> Reset Brick
(up left)
B) gluster volume reset-brick data2 node_name:/gluster_bricks/data2/data2
node_name:/gluster_bricks/data2/data2 commit force
C) gluster volume replace-brick data2 node_name:/gluster_bricks/data2/data2
node_name:/gluster_bricks/data2/data2 commit force

Note: I had a bad  experience with 'reset-brick' in gluster v3 , so I prefer to
use replace-brick
Note2: What's the difference between B & C ->  replace brick allows the
desitination to be another server and/or  another directory. Reset-brick
doesn't allow that.

Once the brick is up - we should be ready to go.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov