Yes I opened up a bunch of examples and tried to get them to work.  The code I
included was simplified from the Jewel example.  I have gotten binding to work
on Label but List refuses to cooperate. And that's why I went back to basics
and came to this forum.

I just tried the change Carlos suggested

<j:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009";

xmlns:j="library://ns.apache.org/royale/jewel"

xmlns:js="library://ns.apache.org/royale/basic"

xmlns:html="library://ns.apache.org/royale/html"
                                                   xmlns:local="*"
                                                   initialize="appInit()">
                <j:beads>
                    <js:ApplicationDataBinding />