Hi Warren

Your example is fully working in my local (compiling and running). So since
it is not a problem with your code I guess you have something wrong in your
project config.
Maybe you miss some library dependency? (registerClassAlias requires
Reflection)

Aside from that this line doesn't have sense to me:

registerClassAlias('org.apache.royale.collections.ArrayList', ArrayList);:

In case you are using AMF what you need to use is:

/**
* Register ArrayCollection alias to map to ArrayList
*/
public function setUp():void
{
registerClassAlias("flex.messaging.io.ArrayCollection", ArrayList);
}

Since BlazeDS and other server side AMF backend libraries has
ArrayCollection as the AS3 class type they must use, so we need to change
in Royale when using ArrayList to map correctly

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira