I have a dovecot proxy working to map user ids via samba/active directory and once that is completed the calendar then will work in thunderbird.  The configuration for ldap and email in sogo only pertains to the web interface and not to your email settings unless you configure it to be that way.  Play with it using a single account until you have it working like you want. I have used calendar and mapped the email directly to my servers and it does work.

You're right all the docs are very ambiguous and should include suggestions on all the different configurations that could be accomplished using sogo in many different environments.  The original intent of sogo was to add calendar/task/contacts in a web format not be an email do all be all.
Steve
On 1/20/2014 9:44 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
Thus my question.

So, based on this, if we elect to use the Integrator, then ALL SMTP and IMAP traffic will have to go THROUGH the SOGo server.

This will be VERY inefficient for our 60+ users in the office.

I can definitely understand adding these details into the SERVER config, for when users are accessing the WEB interface to work with their email.

But why force all of this traffic through one pipe for fat clients as well?

What is gained by this? What does SOGo 'do' with respect to the actual emails that benefits Thunderbird *other* than the Calendars and Contacts?

On 2014-01-20 10:19 AM, Steve Ankeny <stev...@cinergymetro.net> wrote:
Pursuant to the documentation found here:

http://www.sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGo%20Installation%20Guide.pdf

Pg. 6 [PDF 8]

Assumptions

SOGo reuses many components in an infrastructure. Thus, it requires the
following :

❏ Database server (MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle)
❏ LDAP server (OpenLDAP, Novell eDirectory, Microsoft Active Directory
and others)
❏ SMTP server (Postfix, Sendmail and others)
❏ IMAP server (Courier, Cyrus IMAP Server, Dovecot and others)

In this guide, we assume that all those components are running on the
same server (i.e.,
“localhost” or “127.0.0.1”) that SOGo will be installed on.

Documentation "assumes" the various components are all running on the
same server.

Pg. 50 [PDF 52]

Mozilla Thunderbird and Lightning

Alternatively, you can access SOGo with a GroupDAV and a CalDAV client.
A typical well-
integrated setup is to use Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Lightning
along with Inverse's SOGo
Connector plug in to synchronize your address books and the Inverse's
SOGo Integrator plug in
to provide a complete integration of the features of SOGo into
Thunderbird and Lightning. Refer
to the documentation of Thunderbird to configure an initial IMAP account
pointing to your
SOGo server and using the user name and password mentioned above.

With the SOGo Integrator plug in, your calendars and address books will
be automatically
discovered when you login in Thunderbird. This plug in can also
propagate specific extensions
and default user settings among your site. However, be aware that in
order to use the SOGo
Intergrator plug in, you will need to repackage it with specific
modifications.

Obviously, IF your SOGo server is not hosting the IMAP account, it must
be pointed elsewhere.

And, just as obviously, the SOGo Intergrator will discover the calendars
and address books.