I've read this mail and the replies to it, and I don't understand why
you are seeing these problems.  I'm running SA on an ia32 Linux box and
a SPARC Solaris box, and I see no problems with the child processes or
memory usage.

One big difference is that I'm using perl 5.6.1 and LANG=C .  It is
pretty commonly known that the socket routines in perl 5.8 have memory
leaks because of a bug in its io subsystem.

A relevant post about this issue can be found here:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/65325

And a recommended workaround is to put into your environment
PERLIO=perlio before spawning spamd.  You might see if you have the
latest perl from RedHat.  The most recent one I see is perl-5.8.0-88.3.

In summary, I do not see this as a problem with SA, but some specific
problem in your environment either at the OS level or at the perl level.

Mike

--
| Michael Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |