I'm running on a Celeron 1.8G with only 256M of ram. 2,000 emails/day.
Average elapsed time for SA scans: 2,988.43 ms. (Max: 94 seconds. Second
highest: 21 seconds) I'd say you've got something wrong<g>.

I'm running the default ruleset from 3.0.1 distro with:
score BAYES_00 -4.9
score BAYES_01 -2.0
score BAYES_10 -1.5
score BAYES_20 -1.0
score BAYES_30 -0.5
score BAYES_40 0.1
score BAYES_44 0.7
score BAYES_50 1.0
score BAYES_56 1.5
score BAYES_60 2.1
score BAYES_70 3.1
score BAYES_80 4.2
score BAYES_90 4.9
score BAYES_99 5.4
score DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL 4
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 4
score RCVD_IN_DSBL 4
score RCVD_IN_SBL 4
score RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 4
score RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB 4
score SPF_FAIL 2
score SPF_HELO_FAIL 2
score URIBL_SBL 4
score URIBL_SBL 4
score URIBL_WS_SURBL 4
trusted_networks 172.0.0.0/8

in my local.cf

Oh, I didn't read far enough to see the machine specs! Ouch!

Mine (I thought it was a "toy" server, Celeron at that) is probably doing so
well because I'm on a fairly idle T1 so all the DNS traffic is pretty fast.
But my "toy" is a lot more than 166 Mhz. A 2Ghz Cheapo CPU/Motherboard/0.5G
ram is probably $300 or less. Check TigerDirect or somewhere and UPGRADE
THAT PUPPY!

Dan